International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Extended Health Plans

Undergraduate Students

University Students’ Council (USC) USC Extended Benefit Health & Dental Plan

Eligibility: Full-time Undergraduate Students and MBA Students Registered at Ivey

The USC offers an extended health and dentalhealth plan that covers up to 80% of prescription costs as well as other services not included in your UHIP coverage. The fees for this coverage are included on your tuition fee bill for full-time undergraduate international students (exchange and part-time students are not covered under USC Health Plan). Students who are covered under an equivalent extended benefit health care plan (in addition to your standard provincial coverage) may choose to "opt-out" of the USC plan. The plan is effective from September 1 to August 31, each year, and offers benefits specifically designed for student needs.

The plan is not a replacement for, but a supplement to the benefits provided by UHIP.

To access your benefits card and online submissions forms, you will need to register online with

Graduate Students

Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) Student Health and Dental Plan

Eligibility: Full-time Graduate Students

In addition to UHIP, SOGS offers a student health and dental plan that covers up to 80% of prescription costs, some basic dental and vision costs, as well as other services not included in your UHIP coverage. All full-time graduate students registered with the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS), with the exception of Ivey MBA Business students, are members of the health plan provided by SOGS. Premiums for this plan are automatically included in your SOGS fees.

The plan is not a replacement for, but a supplement to the benefits provided by UHIP.

Your benefit card can be picked up at the SOGS office.

Part-time students, post-doctoral fellows, and dependents may opt into the program by submitting an application and payment to the SOGS office by the last business day of the first month of each term.

To access your benefits card and online submissions forms, you will need to register online with

Please visit SOGS Student Health and Dental Plan for more information.

Teaching Assistants - PSAC Local 610

Members of the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) Local 610 at Western are covered by the union’s Extended Health Plan (EHP). Members receive health benefits that are not offered through UHIP and the SOGS health plans. EHP simply adds on a few extra benefits that your other insurance doesn't cover fully.

Please visit PSAC Local 610 website for more information.

Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

OHIP is a provincial health plan managed by the government of Ontario.  OHIP provides health care coverage to those who live in Ontario and who meet the eligibility requirements. 

Residents of Ontario

Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents who live in Ontario are eligible to apply for OHIP coverage.

Permanent Resident Applicants

Students who have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and who have received confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that they meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada are eligible for OHIP coverage.

Students who have applied for permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker Program may experience delays in the OHIP application process. If you are a student in this situation, please contact for more information.

Open Work Permit holders

Open Work Permit holders (including spouses of international students, and holders of a post-graduation work permit) may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage provided they are employed full-time with an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid Work Permit during this time, and they:

For more detailed information about OHIP eligibility and the changes to the OHIP eligibility rules:

If you have questions about your eligibility for OHIP coverage under the new policies, please contact:


Your local Service Ontario office
217 York St, 5th Floor (near Clarence Street)

Note: This information was provided by service Ontario Staff and is not currently available on the Ontario Ministry of Health website. These procedures could change at any time without notice.

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance is recommended for family or friends coming to visit you while you are studying in Canada. In addition, travel insurance is recommended if you will be travelling outside of Ontario.

Note: It is advised that you contact several companies to compare the cost as well as the health care coverage provided, as this can vary greatly from company to company. Some banks and credit card companies (e.g., Visa, Mastercard) also offer basic travel insurance plans for short trips. Contact information can be found on the back of your credit or debit card.

Private Insurance Providers

If you are not eligible for UHIP or OHIP, here are a few insurance companies who provide health insurance coverage:

Please note the above list if not extensive. Insurance cost and coverage may vary.  Make sure to research your options and choose what is best for your needs.