Apply for a Study Permit Extension from Within Canada
To extend your Study Permit, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada's Extend Your Study Permit website for detailed instructions, including application forms, list of documents required, fee payment instructions, etc.
- Determine your eligibility to extend your Study Permit from within Canada.
- Read the Study Permit Extension Instruction Guide (5552) before you begin your application.
- Check CIC's application processing times. It can take weeks or months to process an application to study in Canada. Apply early!
- Tip: The processing times for online and paper applications forms may vary.
- Decide how you will apply.
- Apply online. To apply online students will need access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies, and a credit card.
Tip: IESC has binders with step-by-step information about online application procedures. Sign out the binders for use at the IESC during ouroffice hours.
- Apply by mail.
An application kit includes an application form and a document checklist. You may also need to fill out a Custodianship Declaration, Statutory Declaration of Common-Law, or a Use of Representative forms, if applicable to your personal situation.
Prepare all of your documents. Review the Document Checklist from the application kit (for paper applications) or the list of documents in your myCIC account (for online applications) to find out which documents are required.
Be sure to provide all of the required documents to avoid any delays in your application.
One of the required documents is a recent letter from Western University stating that you are a registered student.
Note: “To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need to identify the institution by its designated learning institution number on the application form. This number can be found on the designated learning institution list, which will be published on the CIC website”1
- Pay your application fee. Students must pay their fees online.
- Review and submit your application.
Make sure that your application is complete and signed before submitting it, otherwise CIC will return or reject your incomplete application and this could result in becoming "out of status".2
Before submitting your application, it is strongly recommended to make a copy of your application, along with the documentation that you will be submitting, to keep for your records.
Depending on your nationality and where you submit your Study Permit application, you may be required to provide biometrics (photograph and fingerprints).
View important information if you plan on taking a break from your studies or if your Study Permit has expired.
Your Responsibilities as a Student
View important information on your responsibility as an international student: