International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Co-ops Programs and Internships

"For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit."1

To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following conditions:

The internship or co-op work cannot take up more than 50% of the total program of study. You must obtain a Co-Op Work Permit before you start to work.To apply for a Work Permit, you need a letter from your Faculty as proof that the employment is essential and required for your studies and degree. On your Work Permit, Western University will be listed as your employer and the expiry date will match your Study Permit. The normal processing fee will NOT be charged

Note: You cannot use an Off-Campus Work Permit to participate in this type of work experience; you must apply for a Co-Op Work Permit. “An off-campus work permit (C25) is not the same as a work permit for internships or co-op placements (C30). If students want to take part in both programs, they must apply for a work permit under each one.”3

Download the application kit for a Co-op Work Permit.