International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Information for ISWOP Employers

Program Information

We are pleased to announce that the International Student Work Opportunities Program (ISWOP), a work study program for Undergraduate International Students piloted in winter 2005, will be available again during the Fall/Winter 2017-18 year.

If you have a Work Study position that is currently not filled, we invite you to consider offering that position to an ISWOP approved international student applicant. The job placement will be a wonderful learning opportunity for the international student participant and an opportunity for you as a Western employer to help further Western's internationalization efforts.

While full-time international students are allowed to work on campus, international students at Western report that employment opportunities are extremely limited. ISWOP's pilot program provided 15 international undergraduate students with financial assistance through paid part-time employment on the campus. Over 650 international students have participated since the program started. The program provides international students with the opportunity to gain and enhance skills, obtain work experience in a Canadian context, and enhance their experience of studying and living in Canada through further involvement with the Western community.

Comments from ISWOP Participants (Winter 2005)

Student Eligibility Criteria - Fall/Winter 2017-18

For a student to be eligible to apply to the International Student Work Opportunities Program, they:

Compensation and Deadline Date

The rate of pay is $11.60 per hour. The maximum allocation for each student is 300 hours. Participants must complete their work hours by April 30, 2018.

Student application deadline: Friday, September 15, 2017.

Hiring an International Student: Important Procedures

You can hire an ISWOP approved student through the Work Study program. When you hire an ISWOP student, you will receive e-mail confirmation and instructions from the Work Study program.

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required to work in Canada. Students who do not already have a valid SIN should apply immediately in order to avoid delays in starting to work. As of June 1, 2014, the SIN application process has changed and students no longer require a Contract of Employment Letter to apply for a SIN.

Note: International students who are studying full-time and who have a valid Study Permit are eligible to work on-campus and to obtain a SIN.

If you have questions about the Work Study program (e.g., posting a new position, ISWOP procedures, etc.) please contact Student Financial Services:

Dahlia Shahatto
Student Financial Services Officer
Telephone: 519-661-2111 extension 85968

Students who have questions can contact the International and Exchange Student Centre:

Sandra Pehilj
International Student Advisor
Telephone: 519-661-2111 extension 80054

For more information, please visit:

Please visit the ISWOP website for full program details.