Fundraising & Education Events
- Location: IGAB Lobby
- Western Heads East Fundraising and Education Committee will be organizing a bake sale (vegan/gluten-free options available). There will also be smoothies made available with our probiotic yogurt. W e hope to see you there!
- Based on last year’s success, we've decided to repeat this fundraiser! A donation jar would be distributed to first-year chemistry classes during the week of March 11-15, and the class that raises the most funds would get to see their chemistry professor dress up as a leprechaun the week following (Monday, March 18 or Tuesday, March 19, 2019).
- Location: Mustang Lounge
- Come visit our booth at TAW Night Market. There will be a photo booth, trivia games, prize draws, and more!
- Location: Chu Centre
- A night to show our appreciation to WHE volunteers and execs!
- Western Heads East Fundraising and Education Committee organized for candy-cane-o-grams to purchased as a gift for someone else on campus on December 3 & 4, 2018.
- Western Heads East Fundraising and Education Committee organized a fun volunteering trip to Ronald McDonald House on November 26th and 27th. Together the volunteers will make fresh probiotic yogurt and baked cookies.
- The International Week event attracted over 100 people from across campus and the London community to engage in the spirit of partnership across continents. The Africa Institute and Western Heads East had the privilege to host the exceptional Dr. Lola Dare as the keynote speaker. A memorable and informative day for those that attended!
- Through community partnerships and donations WHE has collected 558 textbooks to be sent to our partner university, Saint Augustine University of Tanzania (SAUT). SAUT was established in 1998 and currently houses over 8,000 students on their main campus. These students pursue a wide scope of disciplines that include Business Administration, Electrical Engineering, Sociology, and Economics to name a few. The textbooks will be placed in SAUT's library, available to all students on campus. WHE& would like to thank all donors, particularly Housing at Western, The Book Store at Western, and Brytor International Moving for their significant contributions.
Western Heads East (WHE) was honoured to host its co-founder and scientist Dr. Gregor Reid at our Volunteer and Membership Meeting on October 30th. We were glad to have been joined by Western students to hear more about Dr. Reid's inspiration behind probiotic research and how the use of these micro-organisms can translate into the betterment of people’s lives across the globe!
Western Heads East Fundraising and Education Committee organized a fun volunteering trip to Ronald McDonald House on November 2 and 3. Together the volunteers made fresh probiotic yogurt and baked Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Cookies. Take a look at the days’ activities.
- Africa Western Collaboration Day is an annual event that occurs during International Week. This year, it was a success with 3 Pecha Kucha presentations by students who did work/research in Africa, diverse booths, and posters from students and programs that are engaged with work or research on the African continent. The highlight of the evening was the keynote speaker Morten Jerven who spoke on the need for adequate numerical representation of the economic status of African countries. We concluded the evening with a fun fashion show from African Students Association. A memorable and informative day for those that attended!
Annually, the Fundraising and Education Committee arranges an online auction to raise funds for expanding our current projects with our African partners. This year, with a generous donation of $1000 from Samuel Son & Co., and the support of the Western community, we raised $2479. Thank you to our generous donors and dedicated bidders for making this event a success! Stay tuned for the annual auction next year!
The Bake + Smoothie Sale was held in the International Graduate and Affairs Building this year on January 18 th . Members of the committee brought in homemade baked goods and smoothies made from probiotic yogurt to be sold. With various items including cookies, cupcakes, and banana bread, the event was a success with consistent sales throughout the day. The proceeds from the bake+smoothie sale were put towards initiatives with partners in East Africa. Look out for future bake sales!