Types of International Agreements

western university

When is a Formal Agreement Needed?

Not all international activities require a formal agreement.

In cases where there are no financial implications or other obligations for Western to provide material resources, such as individual research projects, partnership activities are not required to be formalized through an agreement.

Collaborations that do require a formal agreement, include cases when there are financial implications or the collaboration concerns academic standards or for-credit activities. Examples where collaborations require an agreement include:

  • Student mobility programs, including academic exchanges
  • Articulation and transfer credit agreements
  • Joint and dual degree programs
  • Programs for joint funding of students sponsored by a government or third-party
  • Programs that involve commitment of resources, including faculty mobility opportunities

If you are unsure whether your initiative requires an agreement, contact us.

What are the Types of International Agreements?

Agreements tend to fall into one of five categories. Not sure where to start? Explore the common types of agreements in each of these categories.


Student Mobility

  • Student Exchange
  • Study Abroad
  • Internship, Clinical or Field Placement, Practicum
  • Faculty-Led Program
  • Community Engaged Learning

Dive deeper into student mobility

An image

Jointly Delivered Programs

  • Articulation. Common models are:
    2+2, 1+3, 3+1+1 or 3+1+2, and 1+1+1
  • Joint & Dual Degree
  • Cotutelle

Dive deeper into jointly delivered programs

An image


  • Sponsorship

Dive deeper into funding

An image


  • Sponsorship

Dive deeper into research

An image


  • Faculty Exchange
  • Memorandum of Understanding/ Letter of Intent
  • High School Pathway

Dive deeper into other agreement types