The below is a summary of anticipated fees associated with a VRO student’s stay in Canada. Fees may vary or change from time to time.


Western University Fees

VRO students are responsible for paying the below fees through their Student Centre account with Western University. Once you have been approved to come to Western University as a Visiting Research Only student, you will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar with your Visiting Research Student Registration Information containing your Student ID number and access code for Student Centre.  

The administration fee, student card fee, and UHIP fees are automatically charged to the Student Centre account. All fees must be paid within the first 30 days of arrival to campus.

Information on how to pay fees to Western University.

Fee Amount Notes
Administration fee    $200.00 * This fee is charged to the student’s Student Centre account. 
Student card fee            $35.00
UHIP fees $63.00/month (this rate increases every year around August)
Travel varies
Accommodation varies
Other living expenses (food) varies
Access to recreation services or bus pass is not included in the VRO administration fee. Therefore, VRO students who are interested in these services should contact the London Transit Commission (LTC) for a bus pass, and Western Campus Recreation for a gym members. Please see below.
Bus Pass See londontransit.ca/fares-and-passes/fares/ Bus passes can be purchased at Infosource in the University Community Centre.
Campus Recreation See

Immigration Fees (payable to IRCC)

Fee Amount Notes
Work Permit fee for research ward recipients


A visa or an eTA will automatically be issued upon approval of the work permit application.


Visitor visa fee for self-funded academic researchers


If you are from a country that requires a visa to enter Canada, please apply for a visitor visa. You do not need an eTA.


Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) fee for visa-exempt nationals who are doing self-funded academic research


If you are from a country that is visa-exempt, please apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).Please see the link below to determine if you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country.

Medical examination       $150.00-$400.00
(depending on the country)

Medical exams are required for students who:

  • Wish to stay longer than 6 months AND who have lived in a designated country for more than six months in the past year
  • Will be conducting research in the health/clinical fields, or working with children or vulnerable individuals such as the elderly population

For further information, please visit on immigration medical requirements: cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

Visa photos x2 varies
Translation of documents   varies
Courier fees varies



Fee Amount Notes
Employer Compliance Fee $230.00 For VRO Students coming to Western under the "Research Award Recipient" stream.
Administration Fee (payable to Western) $200.00 Applicable only if the host supervisor elects to cover this cost on behalf of the student. Some conditions apply.