International LearningWestern International

FAQ for Faculty and Staff

Do I need to complete Western's International Travel Registry as a faculty or staff member travelling on university business?

No, the Travel Registry at this time is a function of student travel internationally on University sanctioned activities.

Do I need to complete the Travel Registry for personal travel?

No, any personal trips or vacation scheduled are the sole responsibility of the traveller.

Which travel advisories do I follow when planning University related travel abroad?

The Government of Canada provides travel advice and advisories for Canadians travelling abroad. Review and monitor this information regularly. Western's Safety Abroad Policy restricts student travel to countries with an official travel advisory stating "avoid non-essential travel" and "avoid all travel." Although the travel restrictions within the policy do not apply to faculty or staff, it is highly recommended that the same discretion is used when planning for international travel.

Can I use the services of International SOS?

International SOS is a service partner that helps protect the safety and wellbeing of Western community members abroad. All main campus Western faculty and staff are encouraged to use International SOS (ISOS) services for pre-travel information (ie. vaccinations, required medication, medical and travel security concerns), as well as health, safety and security advice while abroad. Sign up for health and security email alerts or download the ISOS Assistance App. Refer to the ISOS Faculty & Staff User Guide for detailed instructions on how to access these services.

Where can I get more information about International SOS services?

For more information about International SOS, the services offered in preparation of travel, while abroad, and in the event of an emergency, please visit Western’s International SOS webpage.

If I have additional questions about Safety Abroad, who do I contact?

Please contact