Steps for Faculty & Staff

Please review the FAQ for Faculty and Staff Members Travelling Internationally.

Steps for Faculty and Staff Members Travelling Internationally 

Step 1: Review Government of Canada travel advisories

The Government of Canada provides travel advice and advisories for Canadians travelling abroad. Review and monitor this information regularly. Western's Safety Abroad Policy restricts student travel to countries with an official travel advisory stating "avoid non-essential travel" and "avoid all travel." It is highly recommended that the same discretion is used by faculty and staff when planning for international travel.

If your proposed destination is under an official travel advisory, or if you have questions about the Safety Abroad policy please contact Western International via email at

Step 2: Ensure You Have the Appropriate Travel Documents

You should review the entry requirements for your destination country(ies) as well as the passport validity requirements for your destination country(ies) well in advance. Your passport may have to be valid for up to six months after the date you enter the country you will be visiting. Check the entry/exit and passport validity requirements by country here.

Step 3: Obtain any required vaccinations or health checks

All those planning international travel should take initiative to learn about their host country and take reasonable precautions to ensure they stay healthy and safe. This includes visiting a travel clinic or consulting your own doctor about any preventative measures you can take. It is recommended that you be vaccinated a minimum of six weeks prior to departure so you must book vaccination appointments well in advance of  the six-week minimum timeframe. Please note that certain vaccinations may require more than six weeks to administer before you travel. 

The Middlesex London Health Unit's Travel Immunization Clinic offers personalized risk assessments, onsite immunizations, and prescriptions for preventative medications.

Step 4: Review insurance coverage for out-of-country travel

All Western travellers are required to possess out-of-country travel insurance.

Regardless of your insurance plan, it is important to review and become familiar with exactly what your plan covers, how long it lasts, and where and how it works. Be sure to ask whether the plan covers pre-existing medical conditions. Ask the company to explain the definition, limitations and restrictions of any pre-existing conditions, tests, and treatments you may have undergone.

Travellers should also review their Provincial health plan and understand the requirements for continuous coverage while abroad. Information on the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

Visit the Government of Canada website for more information on the importance of out-of-country travel insurance, and what coverage to look for. 

Step 5: Register with Canadians Abroad

Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency at home. This service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Persons holding international passports should check with individual consular services in their home country. 

Step 6: Learn how to stay safe abroad

As part of Western's commitment to our travellers, we have invested in global medical and security assistance through International SOS. This program is designed to keep our students healthy, safe and secure while they are travelling or living abroad. Resources are also available for faculty and staff prior to travel to help you plan ahead. For assistance in using the resources and features of International SOS, please see the user guide below.